Friday, March 6, 2009

Bottle to Sippy Cup Transition - Day 1

My Daughter is 16 months old.

Pre requisiste - My Daughter is used to a sippy cup at this point of time. She drinks her water and juice through a sippy cup. So its not all new to her. She has a good grip ( I use the Gerber kinds with handles and that are spill-proof . Shown in the Picture) and can lift the S. cup and drink from it, till she totally empties it! Even with the spill-proof on, she is pretty good with it.
Sometimes I give the water in the take and toss variety and she is good with it too. She drinks OK from a regular cup/ glass too with no lid on it ....but its jus that ... whatever beverage is in it...its everywhere :-) But she has been rejecting milk in a sippy cup all the time.

Back to sippy cup transition : Day 1 - I just decided yesterday morning that today it is a great day to start with. She drank her milk as usual from a bottle the night before. In the morning, she brushed her teeth and had some break fast. Soon it was the Milk time. On her typical day she is usually reclining on the couch with a bottle of warm milk and watching her favouite Dora on TV. But yesterday everything was the same except for the milk was in the Sippy cup. She lifted the sippy cup and just when I started feeling happy....she threw it down. She was mad and started being fussy. When she felt I was no way giving her the bottle...she cried and cried.

Whole day.. she did not have any milk in the morning. She had lunch and dinner the usual way and snacks ofcourse. Whenever she wanted milk..like before her nap / after she got up...i kept giving her the sippy cup and she kept pushing it away. But she had her juice and water from S.cups like she used to.

Soon after the dinner she dozed off on her own without a bottle in her mouth. She woke up at 3 AM and she sees a sippy cup again. At this point, she is really really mad. She is crying on top of her voice. I kindly asked my husband to sleep in another room since he has work tomorrow. I was determined to keep this going inspite of anything :-) ( I admit was worried a little about the neighbours, thanks to the wooden walls...at some point of time) Anyways, she cried... dozed off a bit ..looked for a bottle...saw a sippy cup...cried again.................all this went on for good 2 hours. I didn't speak a word with her.
I didnt want to be mad at her. I know its very difficult for her or anybody who is used to doing a thing for over an year and suddenly one night if somebody is trying to change it....its terrible!!! I really felt bad for her :-) I consoled her and did everything to make her feel better....except for giving the bottle :-) We finally dozed off and woke up together at around 7:30 AM.

Whats the best thing about first day? She got through the whole day without a bottle and ofcourse without a sippy cup/milk too..!!


Also , Check Out -





These other posts might interest you :



1 comment:

  1. Hey Shanthi...I like the way you describe things. This is definetely very useful to new moms like me :-). I am not too far from this stage. My daughter is now 8 months..:-)

    ReplyDelete