Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Magic Drink - Pediasure : The Epilogue


It was lesson learnt for us - We realized , its all in our head. We assume they probably wouldn't like that or this. We decide for them. I guess we should stop doing that. We should make them decide for themselves. Offer them all kinds things (not just the food) and wait for them to turn it down or enjoy it.

Its just about making your kids eat right in the right way ! All am saying is... we need to be more patient. The mistakes we did with my son, we are trying not to do it again with his sister.

Like, for example -

1. Pacifier : We never gave her a pacifier (not that its bad or something .. getting him/her off it is difficult again)
I would say go for it as a last option. In my son's case we gave it to him..because he was colic and cried non-stop especially in the evenings. Even though you give / not give colic babies ... a pacifier....the colic thing goes off once they are 6 months old. It starts around 2-3 months age.

Also try several things before giving him/her the pacifier from the time he/she is still a baby. I have seen many new moms do it , like me ..to their first borns. Since they are new to the parent-hood, they feel bad when the baby cries. Or may be they don't want to upset the baby too much. So when the baby cries other than the diaper change...its either the bottle or a pacifier.

With my daughter, we can tried - soothing music, stroller / car ride, fresh air, white noise , swing /rocker , a warm bath , skin contact, lots of toys with music and lights or just a lullaby composed by mom / dad in their natural voice :-) My daughter is a fan of all my self-made songs....even now !

2. Bottle : Took her off the bottle soon. Before she turned 18-months old.

3. Baby foods : I gave her lots of home made stuff other than those Gerber cereals / baby food. That's one of the main reason I guess why my son, in the first place ... became such a picky eater. For one reason, he truly never liked those jarred foods. He ate very little of it. I think I can now relate it to how it all started - - he disliked eating because of how the baby food tasted and he was made to eat the same thing everyday.. routine bored him out and that's why he eventually started preferring milk.

He got used to eating bland stuff ... even after he turned a year , one n half year... he never really liked the rice/ regular food routine we follow at home. He got so used to swallowing those purees ... he dint prefer biting,chewing and swallowing ritual :-)

I should have started him off by giving home-made stuff .. sooner. But then again like I said.. I "assumed" he was not ready. I "assumed" it might be too hard for him to eat / spicy and I "assumed" he is still a baby :-) I simply didn't let him explore.

Lessons Learnt - The sooner they start eating stuff you make/cook for the entire family...its better. I would say its totally wasting money buying foods like those in the long run. Start substituting their baby food with one meal / snack you make at home. This way you do not have worry and carry so many things when u are on road trips , at the restaurants , parties etc. They are eating what you are eating and not just the dessert!! :-)

- Lastly and the most importantly never gave my daughter.. Pediasure.


One of my Pediatric Aunts told me - Pediasure is for those kids who are under nutritioned / under-weight. Parents should go for it only after the doctor recommends it. Just because they are available over-the-counter and in every store... does not mean that they are for everyone.


Also, Check Out -



Other Posts you might be interested in :

No comments:

Post a Comment