Thursday, April 2, 2009

My Son's First Day @ Preschool

We have been preparing him for this BIG day from quite sometime. The word "School" used to turn him off. But when we referred to swing / slide / computers .. they have at the school .. it used to lit his face up. We also starting taking names of some of the kids, he knew in person .. our friend's kids... and how they go to school and seem to enjoy it. But then the idea made him think that probably there is one universal school where all kids will go to and there is endless of fun stuff there :-)

A week prior to the enrollment .. we did some shopping. Bought him everything new from shoes, socks to school bag and lunch box etc. It excited him and made him look forward to it! A day before the BIG day ... he started getting a little cranky and kept saying "No School" . This made me and my husband very anxious. I had a strange feeling in my stomach and the last time I remember having it was for my first job interview.... that tensed- nervous feeling like it was my first day of school!! Anyway, we some how slept through the night.

In the morning, we all got up a little early and started getting ready. Me and my husband thought that it would be ideal .. if I went with him to school. So while my husband baby-sat the sister, I took the brother to the school. He didn't cry at all . Soon we entered the class-room and his first impression - I would say he was a little overwhelmed to see kids of his age...running around...lot of colorful art stuff on the walls...his favorite A B C D s hung from the ceiling.

The teachers were friendly. They greeted him and announced to the whole class that he was a newbie there. Everybody said Hi and he replied back quietly. He kept hiding behind me and sometimes even made me hold his hand. He was shy. We explored the class room together. There were pictures of fruits , animals, 1 2 3s , colors , shapes etc. He identified most of the fruits and animals.

When he saw his favorite building blocks on a table and kids playing with them .. it excited him. He grabs a few blocks .. quickly comes back .. and stands behind me again. Soon it was Circle time, the first activity they do at the school..everyday day. So when all the kids started cleaning up .. putting away the blocks .. we helped them. He did it well, surprisingly!

I sat with him for a while during the circle time. The teacher involved everybody in the classroom to do something. Talk about what day was it and how was the weather outside, color of the dress they are wearing etc. There was a 'letter of the day' contest and the kids were asked to identify any thing in the class room that started with that letter. Most of them did it quiet well.

I also did see a couple of kids sneezing / wiping their noses to their shirts and another kid coughing. I thought "welcome to the germ land" .. but then .. cant help it...either!! Very soon I know my son would be bringing some viruses / germs home...to his little sister too :-)

So when I started to leave... he began crying and one of the teachers held him. I closed the door behind me and I could still hear him cry. The moment made my heart melt and I quickly drove back home. An hour later, I called the place to check how he is doing. They said he was fine...no more crying. He also ate the snack and was playing well. I was glad ! :-)

Later that day when I went to pick him up...he was all smiles. When he saw his little sister along with me... he was happy :-) They missed each other...I should tell you! He then waved everybody BYE while coming out and the classroom.

So I don't think the overall First day experience was so bad after all. Later that day, when we told him that if he wants to go to the school again...he says.. "my school" :-) I assume now that he no longer thinks school is a bad place.

Today is his second day and you wont believe me...as soon as he entered the classroom..he turns around and says - "Love you..Mom. Bye!" :-) I was Surprised ,, Awe-struck might be the word. I thought "Oh My God!!". He takes off his jacket and gets busy with his friends :-) Back home I tell my husband about it and he felt so happy. We never realized that my son would get adjusted so fast. Isn't he a darling :-) Am just getting off the phone with the class-teacher and she tells me that he ate all off his snack and there was no crying at all!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shanthi,

    Landed here from google search and loved reading your post on first day of your son's preschool!

    I am exactly in the same position as you were about 3 years back..yes my LO is starting preschool this year!! Hope he enjoys his school... :)

    ReplyDelete